Thursday, March 29, 2012

Muffins on the Sly or Apple Bran "Cupcakes"

I say Muffins on the Sly because little grandson has been told by his mommy that any muffin/cupcake food item is a cupcake. That way a healthy muffin is as fun for him to eat as a cupcake because he loves cake and they're all cakey. So below is the yummy muffin recipe. I usually don't make them the same every time, but they came out so wonderful and moist yesterday I decided to write it down so I could repeat. I made two large batches. The first batch had mashed bananas in place of part of the applesauce. I have made them with honey. If you use honey increase flour a little. I forgot the honey in a batch once that had bananas in it, but they were still pretty wonderful. Just not as wonderful. You can use a little oat flour, or milled flax seed as part of the flour.


Normally you can see apple chunks. Nummy!

Apple Bran Muffins
  • 2 c. bran cereal, crushed
  • ½ c. milk
  • 4 eggs
  • ⅓ c. coconut oil, melted
  • 2 c. applesauce
  • ¾ c. Sugar in the Raw or honey
  • 1 tsp. almond or vanilla flavoring
  • 2 apples peeled & chopped
  • ¼ c. chopped walnuts 
  • 2 c. flour (I like King Aurthur whole wheat flour)
  • 1½ tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. salt
Mix all the wet stuff, also including sugar, nuts and apples. Add all the dry stuff. Here's a tip: Crush soda or baking powder in your hand with the back of your measuring spoon. If you've ever bit into a baked item and had a hard crunch of baking soda you'll know this is important.



Mix all together. Don't over-mix. Spray muffin tins with non-stick spray. I used mini-muffin pans, regular, and heart pans yesterday. Bake at 350° until done. If you over bake them the bottoms will scorch and they won't be as moist.


No comments: