Friday, October 3, 2008

Whatever Happened to Breakfast? Oatmeal Pancakes

Whatever happened to real breakfasts?
What happened to oatmeal, Malt-O-Meal, eggs and biscuits?


Growing up I remember my mom worked and we ate lots of cold cereal on weekdays. By 9 AM I was soooo hungry. Lunch in the lunchroom at school, which I usually scarfed down, only held me over until after school when I would be ravenous again. Sometimes there was a small snack, sometimes not, and a wait until dinner at 7PM or later. Let's feed our kids a good breakfast. Let's teach them how to cook some good things. It's cheaper and more healthy in the long run.

I like to sleep until 7:00, and my husband leaves the house before 6:00. So I cook the lazy way. I declared today was oat day. I made oatmeal pancakes AND my BIG Batch Granola (recipe here.) The morning, and two large boxes of oatmeal are gone, but I have a lot of yummy stuff to show for it.

Updated 8/4/13

Oatmeal Pancakes - double batch (makes 22)

  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/3 cup olive oil or coconut oil
  • 4 eggs separated
  • 4 cups quick oats
  • (you may use long-cooking oats, like McCann's, just adjust the liquid and cook as directed)
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 5 tsp. baking powder
  • 2/3 cup flour
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Heat the milk, water, and oil in a large pan. Stir in the oats and turn off the burner. Let it sit and become relatively cool.


While oats cool: beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. 

Stir the dry ingredients together. You may add a splash more of milk, but remember the batter needs to be super thick and the egg whites will add moisture too.  (You can also start measuring out the ingredients for the granola if you're making it at the same time.) 


Stir the egg yolks and dry mixture into the oats 


 Fold in the egg whites.



I cook these on a non-stick griddle, four at a time. Oil the griddle.
Cook on medium high heat until getting sort of dry on top. They take longer to brown than a normal pancake, so take your time.


YUMMY!


Cool and place in the fridge, or freezer, if your family doesn't eat them all.
Scrumptiously moist, you can eat them plain.
If you must, you can have a little honey or syrup.




Evidently, real cinnamon hasn't been seen in this country for awhile. You may not know that we've been cooking with Cinnamomum cassia, which is not true cinnamon. Once you have the real thing, you won't like the other as well. I got mine in Germany, and I'm very stingy with it.



2 comments:

Renna said...

Thanks for the recipes, Charlene!

Is the German cinnamon ground?

 Cha said...

Yes, but you can evidently find it there in stick form. I was grossed out when I opened up my "cinnamon" sicks and found mold inside each stick. I'm not sure we can find the real thing here.