Monday, March 26, 2012

Mental Marbles and Good Forgetting

This post is for those kindred spirits of mine with busy-ness and much on your minds. Maybe some days you worry like Toodles in the movie "Hook" that you've "lost your marbles". (They really were his marbles and his happy thoughts.)


If it makes you feel any better I was distracted this morning and pulled the dishwasher soap out of the cabinet and started toward Patty Dog's bowl with it, instead of the dishwasher. Anyone else might have had a small panic about their mental capacity. Not me. I just smiled at her and said, "You know better than to eat that if I ever made it to the bowl, don't you?"  Of course she does. It smells bad!


Forgetfulness can be a blessing as I blogged awhile back about how I forget and how our Father is even better at it. I've personally known folks who remember every slight from years ago and keep account. What a horrible load of stuff to labor under. Those we hold grudges against probably go about their lives happily oblivious to our accounting methods. And then who is hurting? Who is agonizing and fretting? WE are. THAT is why He asks us to lay our burdens down. To forgive so that we may be forgiven. 
Thank you Father, that you don't keep a sin account on me! 


"And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses." Mark 11:25 


The bible doesn't say to wait to forgive until we feel like it. Or to wait until we think we can forget, or to even wait until we're asked for forgiveness. Forgiving and praying for those who've hurt us is what we should do regardless of what others do. Right actions will bring right feelings. Even if right actions don't bring right feelings, we must do it anyway. I must open my fist and let things go, or they will poison me
 "Unforgiveness is like drinking poison, and waiting for your the other person to die."

No comments: