Friday, September 26, 2008

What is the Treasure of My Heart?

"A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks." Luke 6:45

Knowing that what is really inside me comes falling out of my mouth is very sobering. If we stopped to think when we're "having a bad day" that we are sometimes revealing our motives,
our ugly attitudes, our unlovely selves through our speech, it would drive us to God and our families for forgiveness. What kind of example do I give my kids if I'm loudly impatient with the driver in front of me? If I can speak kind words only to those outside my home? If I have a "telephone voice" right after poisonous words? And I expect respectful words from them? No matter how often we want them to exhibit good manners and kindness, it will never be completely taught. It must be "caught". I'm incapable of always being kind. It's that knowledge that sends me to God asking for His grace and kindness, because I can't do it on my own. I fail miserably. When our kids fail, it's a teachable moment to explain that we can't be good on our own. That's why we need a Savior.


"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." Proverbs 17:28

No comments: