Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bon-Bons- A Coconut and Pecan Dream!

This is my favorite candy to make at Christmas. 

 I have started messing around a bit to make them less sugary by putting in some flour in place of some of the powdered sugar, also I don't try to make the dough too stiff, I just place the bowl in the fridge for awhile, roll them into balls and then freeze the balls before dipping in chocolate or almond bark. I make the "dough" or centers ahead of time, store in the freezer and then dip them as we have Christmas functions to attend. After dipping leave them in a cool, to room temperature place, and the centers will be gooey.



To make the centers you'll need:
  • 1 can of Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 1/2 sticks Butter, softened, but not liquid
  • 2 cups Bakers Coconut (It's nice and moist)
  • 2 1/2 cups Pecans, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla
  • Powdered Sugar and Flour to make a dough (original recipe says 2lbs. sugar. This is too sweet for me)
Mix all together and chill, covered, in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Roll the dough centers into small balls and place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets and freeze. Once the balls are hardened melt your chocolate. I use semi-sweet and milk chocolate for the chocolate dipped ones and almond bark for the white ones. The swirl is melted almond bark that was put in a pastry bag and piped on with a plain pastry tip. When I dip chocolates I use 2 forks. Don't spear the item to be dipped, just throw it in the melted chocolate and fish it out by scooping up with one fork underneath. Tap, tap, tap the fork on the side of the pan to let all the excess go back into the pan and then use the other fork to scrape the ball off onto waxed paper.

No comments: