Saturday, July 25, 2009

What if there were a video camera?


Lights, camera, action!

What if there were a video camera recording your words, tone of voice and facial expression when you are speaking to the people you love most? I ask this question because I recently said I needed to record a family member's speech when they think they are sounding perfectly nice, and they aren't. Then I started thinking about my own speech. Hmm, convicting.

What if there were an constant audio visual presentation of what comes out of my mouth and the way in which it spews? Unfortunately God sees and hears. Sometimes it's not even what we say, but the way we say it that is offensive. More than offensive to our family, it's offensive to a Holy God whom we say we honor and love. To be a wise woman I need to backtrack, ask God and my family's forgiveness and start over with words that are more pleasant to hear, even if they are a reprimand for a child. If we want respect, it has to start with us.

"My lips will not speak wickedness..." Job 27:4a

"Yes, my inmost being will rejoice when your lips speak right things. " Proverbs 23:16

"A time to keep silence, And a time to speak" Ecclesiastes 3:7

"But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment." Matthew 12:36

"For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks." Matthew 12:34b

No comments: