Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sandwiches Aren't Just For Kids!

Summer is coming and there's nothing like a substantial sandwich for easiness and keeping the kitchen cool.

I love a good sandwich. When we lived in Europe we ate bretzel sandwiches, which are a soft pretzel type sandwich. There were also the brotchen that we used to load up with all kinds of wonderful cheeses and meat. American cheese just isn't real cheese, people!

I haven't made pretzels in years, but I think it's time to try to make bretzels for sandwiches. When I figure that recipe out again I'll post it.

When I make a sandwich for a real meal I try to have some good stuff on hand:

  • Hard rolls or hoagie buns
  • Olive Oil
  • Fresh rosemary or oregano (just a tiny bit), or dried Italian herbs
  • Shaved meat, shredded or sliced leftover turkey or chicken, and/or pepperoni
  • Real cheese, some kind of cheddar, Swiss, or other tasty cheese
  • Fresh baby spinach or leaf lettuce (pile it on, you can't taste it, and it's good for you)
  • Tomatoes
  • Sliced avocados, or guacamole....(Yes, that's guacamole on my sandwich there.)
  • Onions or chives, if you like
  • Coarse ground pepper


Drizzle a little olive oil on the open bread and sprinkle with Italian herbs, or fresh snipped herbs and toast in the oven. When the bread is toasty place the cheese on one side and the meat on the other side. Toast until warm. Pile on the veggies and enjoy!

No comments: